The Committee meets at least four times in a year.
The functions of the Finance and General Purposes Committee are to:
- Supervise the process of investigation and determination of complaints of breach of the authority’s code of conduct for members
- Grant appropriate dispensations to members pursuant to S33 of the Localism Act 2011 insofar as this responsibility is not delegated to the Monitoring Officer
- Ensure that members of the Fire and Rescue Authority are adequately trained in their obligations under the code of conduct.
- Review and report on the quarterly and annual financial statements of the authority.
- Consider and make recommendations to the authority for the proposed Revenue and Capital Budgets and medium term financial plans.
- Consider any changes in the budget allocations arising from changes in strategic policies and service plans.
- Consider any proposals for growth or budget reductions.
- Consider the revenue and capital budgets, medium term financial plan, council tax levels and associated information prior to approval by the Fire Authority.
- Consider Treasury Management policy and strategy and on-going performance.
- Consider value for money reviews and indicators.
- Champion the development of conditions of service of staff through the implementation and maintenance of HR strategies
- Review and make recommendations upon the terms and conditions of employment of the Chief Executive and Deputies
- Consider written reports submitted by the service on policy and matters relating to terms and conditions of employees.
- Consider equality and diversity issues as they affect the Authority.
- Assist in maintaining good employment relations in the interests of providing the highest level of service to residents of County Durham and Darlington and make recommendations to the Authority as to how employment relations could be improved.